It seems like it has been ages since I last wrote my blog. My parents had come over to my place so I was doing nothing but giving them time and eating lots and lots of Ma ke haath ka khana (mother's hand cooked food). So this time since I am writing after so many days I decided to write something very very special.
Chicken Cigar is a starter which is pretty easy to prepare and gets me appreciations whenever I prepare it. This is very tasty. The crunchy bread on the outside and juicy chicken stuffing inside add to the flavour of the dish.
- Chicken Keema (200 gms)
- White Bread slices ( 7-8 )
- Salt (acc to taste)
- Coriander ( 1 bunch chopped finely)
- Onions ( 1 chopped finely and 1/2 julienned for serving)
- Coriander powder (3 tsp)
- Cumin powder ( 3 tsp)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Tomato Sauce (for serving)
- Cucumber (for serving)
- Sunflower oil (2 tbsp for stuffing and 1 cup for deep frying)
- Green chillies (according to taste)
- Cumin seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Egg (1 beaten)
- Cornflour (1 tbsp)
- Water (1 cup)
How to prepare the stuffing?
- Wash the chicken keema properly.
- Marinate chicken keema with lemon juice and salt for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok.
- Add Cumin seeds, chopped onions and green chillies.
- When cumin seeds splutter add marinated keema into it.
- Fry for some time.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, turmeric powder, chopped coriander and mix well.
- Let it cook fully and keep aside to cool.
- Once it has cooled down separate the stuffing as shown below:
How to prepare the Cigar?
- Cut the sides of the bread.
- Put the stuffing in the middle of the bread along the length.
- Fold the bread like a cigar.
- Add a little water to your hands before folding it. This will help it bind together.
- Make a batter of the egg and cornflour. Add a little salt to it.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a deep wok.
- Dip the bread cigars into the batter.
- Deep fry them until brown.
- Serve hot with sauce, kasundi, salads etc.
Note: Vegetarians can use paneer and boiled potatoes in place of chicken.
The keema stuffing can be had along with roti as a side dish.