I used to hate fish as a kid...It was in college when I had to stay in Kolkata for a long 3 years when I fell in love with all sorts of fish curries.... The pic u can see above is how shorshe rui looks. I have taken it from the web. Shall post my shorshe rui pic once I prepare it next time....
This is also one of the first fish curries I ever tried preparing... So here it is for you -
- Fish (4 pieces washed and cleaned)
-Green Chilli (3 or according to taste)
-Red Chilli Powder(1tsp)
-Salt(As per taste / 2tsp)
-Mustard Oil(1/2 cup)
-Vinegar (1 tsp). This is optional.
Method of preparing Mustard paste:
- Soak the mustard in water for an hour. Then grind the mustard in the grinder with one tsp vinegar and a green chilli.
- Marinate the fish with 1tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt for 30 mins.
- Put 1/2 cup mustard oil in a wok and let it heat.
- Fry the fishes in mustard oil in low flame until it turns brown. Keep aside.
- In the oil remaining in the wok add slit green chillies and a pinch of mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter add mustard paste, remaining turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and water. Fry till the oil separates.
- Add salt and yoghurt.
- Add water and let it boil.
- Add fish and cover the wok.
For garnishing add slit green chillies and coriander leaves. Your Shorshe Maach is ready for serving. It goes well with hot basmati rice or normal rice.