Monday 19 December 2011

Mishti Polao

Hello friends!!!! So how was your weekend?? Hope it was good with lots of good food.. :)
All I am thinking about these days is food. :p

One of my friends(Gargi) came over for lunch today at my place. She is a foodie and loves to have food prepared by me. :D I prepared "Mishti Polao" (Sweet rice) for her today. It is a traditional bengali dish. I got the recipe from my mother in law.At first when I heard the recipe I had to stop there and take a step back.
Sweet rice??? This cannot be a main course; has to be a dessert sort of thing. But my mother in law is a great cook. I tasted it for the first time and I was like OMG it tastes awesome.
This recipe has never let me down. It is quick and easy to prepare and goes well with any spicy fish curry or chicken curry.

So here it is -


Ingredients -

- Basmati Rice(3 cups)
- Water(5 cups)
- Turmeric Powder(3 tsp)
- Ghee(3 tbsp)
- Bay Leaf / Tej Patta(2)
- Cardamom (2)
- Cinnamon(2)
- Sugar(3 tbsp)
- Salt(3 tsp)
- Green Chillies(2)
- Raisins(12-13)
- Cashews(10-11)

How the magic happens?

- Soak basmati rice in water for 30 mins.
- Drain out the water, let it dry a bit and add turmeric powder and mix it well with the rice. This adds a very beautiful colour to the rice but does not effect its taste.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a wok and add cashews and raisins. Fry for 2 mins and keep them aside.
- Add the remaining oil in the wok.  Add cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves.
- When it starts giving out a very good aroma put in the rice.
- Keep stirring on high flame so that the rice does not stick to the wok. Add salt and sugar and green chillies(slit).
- Once all the rice grains are covered with ghee add 5 cups of water and raisins and bring it to boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Cook till the rice is completely cooked. Add cashews right away and your mishti polao is ready. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment