Thursday 31 August 2023

Poha / Chirer Polao (Rice Flakes Pulao)




Poha known as Chirer Polao in West Bengal is an acquired taste. I have never liked it as a kid and same goes for my daughter.
I do like it for breakfast now. This used to find place in the breakfast table and evening snack pretty often during my childhood.  I have tried it a few times at my breakfast table but this is not a regular.

Ingredients:
- Flattened rice - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Peanuts - 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil - 1 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Salt and sugar - acc to taste
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Veggies of your choice (cut into small pieces) - 1 cup (I have used beans, carrots, potatoes)
- Ginger paste or chopped - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Pomegranate - 1 tbsp

Method
- Wash flattened rice and drain all the water. Let the rice sit in a bowl for 30 mins. Start the next steps when the rice is soaked well and has puffed up.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add peanuts and fry till brown.
- Add mustard seeds, fennel seeds and ginger. Fry for 1 min.
- Add all the veggies and fry till they are cooked.
- Add turmeric and mix well. Once turmeric is cooked add flatenned rice / chire, salt, sugar and mix well.
- When everything is mixed, add ghee and give it another stir.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and pomegranate. Add lemon if you like, I do add it. Serve hot for breakfast or evening snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment